Friday, May 28, 2010

Getting started

I have a terrible time making up my mind sometimes. Part of the decision was made for me when I could only find cross stitch fabric at the store. I settled on a white 18 count Aida.

Once I got my fabric on the stretcher, again, I can't make up my mind as to what kind of border I should use around my squares! So, I started marking my lines by running a basting stitch with regular black thread. This is very time-consuming, especially since I know I'll eventually be replacing it later with something else, so I stopped. Once I have some or all of the squares completed I'm hoping the right color and type of border will be obvious. I like the way the black outlined squares look right now, but wouldn't you know it, I don't have any black floss in my stash anyway. Another trip to the store is in my future - in the meantime, I'm planning my first square.

I'm already having some doubts about my fabric and wish I'd looked around a little more to find a nice linen or something a little finer. I've never worked on 18 ct and those squares are tiny! Maybe I should look into getting one of those magnifying stands... hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment